Thursday, September 1, 2011

mmmm . . . . . bacon

So, while I was gone a few extra days Michael was home working {he originally was going to be in Lubbock for meetings, but they were cancelled}. Usually when that happens I feel a little guilty - I'm off playing while he's home working. alone. bored. Well, not so much this time. He had all sorts of dinner invitations, saw a movie and to top the week off, went hog hunting with some co-workers.

See, these wild boar are really more of a nuisance than anything, and most ranchers are excited for you to come on their property to get rid of them. But still, having a hook-up is nice. He even got to use his new gun!


Michael didn't actually shoot this pig, but it was a big one (250+ lbs) the other two that were killed were just babies and not worth skinning the whole thing for meat. The buddy that did shoot this needed Michael's "assistance" with the dirty work and gave him the meat as part of the bargain (only to come back a day later regretting his generosity. We'll share. I'm certain there will be plenty) We sent it to a butcher and we'll be up to our elbows in sausage here in a few days (seriously 84lbs of ham, ribs, linked & ground sausage comin our way). I'm not sure how soon he'll be able to go out again - if not for space in our freezer the fact that it took him 3 days to quit talking like a hick.

1 comment:

Valerie and Adam said...

Awesome! Hog hunting! I think the hick accent is mandatory for that sport. Adam will be jealous that you have a gun. He's been wanting one for awhile now.