Friday, August 26, 2011

Sewing 101

While in Utah my sister had a few baby related sewing projects she wanted to accomplish while on maternity leave. We shopped to pick out fabric and had the projects pretty well planned. As luck (or genetics) would have it, she didn't have as much time to WORK on said projects as we'd thought. That's where Rylee and I stepped in. I was working on the carseat canopy (you know the blanket thing that hooks to the carseat handle keeping people from sneezing on your precious newborn, or give said baby relatively undesturbed slumber as you run errands). Rylee was interested in what I was doing, so I plopped her up on my lap to help (it was basic straight-stitch sewing at this point).

We pulled out the camera and she was all smiles. We've got ourselves a future semestress and this Momma couldn't be more proud. I helped her help me guide the fabric, which basically consisted of keeping her hands away from the the needle (which may or may not have been her number 1 priority at the time). As she tugged and pulled on the fabric I was talking to her about the parts of the machine/sewing etc and said "you don't need to push or pull on the fabric Rylee, there are things called 'feed-dogs' that do that for you" After I finished talking she replied with an "OH" as if she were saying "now I get it Mom!" We couldn't help but laugh out loud.



I remember something very similar to this for myself. . . . . my own Mother was sewing something and I'm sure I was driving her crazy with the project. She stopped what she was doing and pulled out pattern pieces (it was a floral terry-cloth ish fabric) and we made two jackets (mini robes?) for my cabbage-patch dolls. Now, maybe Rylee won't remember her 'first sewing experience' but I remember mine. Thanks Mom, I still love it.

2 comments:

Jason & Kelli West said...

being a good seamstress runs in your family!! You guys all rock!! cute pictures of you two!

Marrott Family said...

I wish I would have been video taping when she said, OH! sooo cute. i didn't get the same lesson from mom...and I guess didn't have the same desire. :) So where are those terry cloth robes??