A couple days ago it looked like Kelsey's bandage/glove had shifted a bit and sure enough while eating lunch today it just sortof fell off! She's FREE! She kept inspecting her hand and rolling her wrist. We each took our turns inspecting it half a million times (including Rylee and Dad as he was home for lunch). She didn't really touch it much but she kept rubbing it agaist my shirt. She avoided putting pressure on it, not sure if she's just used to crawling oddly or if its still tender.
It looks MUCH better than it did 2 weeks ago. Its still pretty swollen, which could take several months to go down - along with the coloring from the grafts/scars from stitching. There's a few stitches you can see, but they'll desolve.
And now, we wait. The surgeon wants to see it again in a few weeks to comfirm all is healing as it should. Her fingers should straighten out some with time (there was quite a bit of gauze between them for 4 weeks). Growth centers (the begining of growth plates) won't even show on an x-ray until closer to 18 months, and if another surgery is needed to straighten (there may not be, like we originally thought), that will be closer to when she's 3.
I'm so amazed at what this wonderful Dr has done! {We thanked him with cookies, though aside from paying our bill I don't think that's enough} While in Houston the last time I discovered he is literally re-writing the book on syndactyly's (webbed fingers)! Pretty impressive. All jokes about being an excellent swimmer aside, we're just so grateful she won't have to deal with this her whole life. I don't think I've kissed fingers so much in one day before. Who's to say she won't win swim meets anyway? We'll be working on that as soon as possible as its been a long hot August without pool breaks! Several times a day Rylee says "Kelsey cast off, then swimming!" To top it off, our inflatable pool had one too many run-ins with the rose bush and since school started the pools are only open Saturday/Sunday :(
Sorry if I've been a bit repetative . . . . but she's kindof a big deal around here.




3 comments:
I love hearing about how her hand is healing!
I know it is still bruised and everything, but her hand is looking so good! I'm so glad that everything went well.
Excellent news! Love you all.
Post a Comment