Thursday was the day of the big reveal!!
Unfortunately Michael wasn't able to come to this appointment so I braved the task of taking both children on a road trip.
It might have gone a bit smoother had I remembered the receptionist telling me (6 months ago) that the Dr at times is long in a surgery during the day, making him late to the clinic. Yea, we waited nearly 2 hours. . . . . All things considered the girls did very well during the wait and made 'friends' with the other patients quickly.
Once we got into a room, he got straight to work cutting off the cast. He saved my "drawing" on the bandage for me. He had an employee (or understudy, or random stranger I don't really know who he was) throw the cast away and he commented "wow, that's heavy!" I know, right?
A few people tried inform me on what to expect when a cast comes off. It still not sure it helped, or that I listened. Seeing her long middle finger made my eyes swell with tears. It seems so silly at times yet I'm so grateful this will be but our memory (not so much hers). He said, it looks just like it was supposed to (it wasn't exactly pretty). The fingers were pretty swollen, and due to the amount of gauze between them, very much separated. When I mentioned it wasn't quite what I expected he asked me what I did expect?. . . . I said "not so purple" (which was the markings where he was to make the cuts) or I guess more healed than it was, like her hip where they took the grafts. She kept rotating her wrist and the Dr said "I bet that feels really good". He quickly pointed out which parts were grafted, but I didn't really inspect too closely (and failed to get a picture).
Then it was time to bandage her back up.
He put a piece of what looked like wet netting against the stitches then a small roll of gauze wrapped in between her fingers and around her hand with extra batting on the tip of her fingers and secured with tape. Her little thumb sticks out a bit. Very manageable, not as stinky and soft. Since the Dr will be on vacation he said we could have her regular pediatrician take this one off - YAY! Then no more restrictions and we be allowed back in the pool/water just as they close for the season :(
He wants to see her in about 6 weeks just to keep a loose eye on things then we'll just watch the growth of her fingers over the next year or two to see if they straighten out by being separated, and where the growth centers truly are positioned before we really talk about a future surgery, as there may not be a need.
Thank you again for all your thoughts, prayers, concern, and well wishes - not to mention the phone calls/text messages to help keep me awake on the drive :) We truly appreciate it, and hope you feel of our love as well.


2 comments:
So glad it went well! Reminds me a lot of the emotions I had during/after Landon's eye surgery. Made me very grateful that my kids are so healthy. Who knew you could get so emotional over such a (relatively) small body part?!
I wish I was close enough to be Kelsey's personal nurse. I've wrapped a lot of grafted fingers and would love a chance to bandage up that little sweetie pie! Hang in there....I love your motto...It will soon be a memory. I think of it often. Much love!!
Post a Comment