Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Attempting to catch up = long post

Utah {week 2}
My second week in Utah was much more relaxing than the first. It was nice to see some good friends I haven't seen for a LONG time, as well as get more quality one-on-one time with family members. gotta love it. I found myself staring at the mountains quite regularly. I was surprised how quickly I forgot the view from my parents back yard. I also miss how it acctually cools down at night in UT- our lows in SA are like 75. . . . not all that cool but this isn't a "things I miss about Utah" post {which may come at a later date} so I'll continue:

Saturday we hiked to a waterfall in Pleasant Grove.
I think somebody missed me. . . cuz this is what I found in the apartment when I got home. {ok, somebody might have missed him too} -a week is a long time to be a 'batchelor' after you've been married to me for three years!

To 'celebrate' my birthday we took a little {well, long, really} day trip to Waco, TX. as seen in the next photo home of Dr Pepper!



Ah, that special goodness. I don't know how we've lived here for a year and a half and hadn't been yet. Since that WAS one of the deciding factors on me moving here to begin with. Oh, I know why. . . . . they have weird hours! {they close at like 4}
Besides the quite lengthy drive, we had a blast! I loved reading all about the 2nd love of my life and something about an old soda fountain w a soda jerk just makes drinking it that much more enjoyable! A few of my favorites were:
-the old commercials
-it used to be called "waco" and if you wanted one you would say "shoot me a waco"
-a pharmacist "Morrison" concocted it. . . in a pharmacy
-the myth of Dr Pepper is made w prune juice {the rumor started by a competitor to get people to STOP drinking Dr Pepper. . . . which obviously didn't work} the secret of the 23 fuit flavors is STILL a mystery
-the 10 2 4 campaign {you should drink a dr pepper three times a day: at 10 2 & 4 because that is the time of day when your blood sugar is low and people tend to get hunger pains/headaches of which having a tasty soda would remedy}
-All the speculations as to 'how' it got its name {possibly as a 'dowry' to get a Dr. Pepper {a REAL Dr {like MD} in England, to let Morrison to marry his daughter} and of course:
-the gift shop. thank you sugar cane!
We finished the day by going to IKEA in Austin and was TOTALLY bummed the cafe was under construction. . . .stupid making it bigger.
As for my ACTUAL birthday I was totally spoiled with gifts from Michael and had a lovely time at dinner {minus the crappy service. . . . i'm much more picky since i've been a waitress myself} with friends. I have a feeling 26 is going to be a good year! Thank you to all who wished, or tried to wish {I only purposely missed SOME of your calls lol} me a lovely day, which it was! and I'll try to post more than once in the next month.

4 comments:

Marrott Family said...

Reminds me of the coke factory in Georgia!! I was with you a lot of that time in Utah, plus I just got off the phone with you so I don't know what else to comment :)

Paige said...

Well, as I said yesterday Happy Birthday, and can't wait to see pictures of your house!

Tricia and Michael said...

I actually was a little bummed it wasn't MORE like the coke factory- in that the coke factory was 1.BIGGER 2.had a HUGE gift shop and 3.had like a billion different sodas to try. . . {although most of which were disgusting if my memory is correct- so maybe I will take my few choices at the counter}

Mortensen Family said...

I heard you got lots of gifts too. Maland couldn't remember them all so I can't wait to hear/ see them. I hope the house closing goes well today. Congrats proud new home owners. See you Friday.