Monday, January 14, 2013

Christmas '12

We truly had a wonderful Christmas.
It really was perfect. Our little family - home, no where to be, so we stayed in our pj's all day letting our little's dictate how the day went.
(by the looks of the picture, Daddy hit the jackpot, though I think I came out the real winner)
 I guess I should share a little of our pre-Christmas celebration.  For family night one evening we took the girls up to the temple.  It was nice to walk around and show Rylee where Mom and Dad go on our "dates". We talked about the temple and if she makes good choices she can go inside someday too.  They had a nativity up and we talked about baby Jesus drank our apple cider and drove home.  On our way to and from anywhere really the entire month of December we would take a detour to look at lights.  Rylee was quick to tell us what she was seeing especially if it was Santa.

For several years we've gone to Windcrest (a 'city' within the city) to look at lights. This is the 50 - something-th year they've had a contest.  There's about 10 categories and as you drive past the fire station they hand out maps to show the winners (and runner's up).  We decided to take a little treat and give them to the houses with our favorite lights/displays.  It was kind of fun! I was a *little* worried they maybe wouldn't eat homemade goods from someone they didn't know but I guess that's not my problem.  It was 8 o'clock and there were several postal workers STILL delivering packages so we gave one our last bag of goodies and thanked him for his hard work as a Christmas Elf.  He seemed very grateful.  (I mean seriously, still working after 8 on Christmas Eve. . . . . poor guy).

Rylee was so excited to be able to help wrap a few presents. She took the job very seriously. After all, it is important work choosing which paper to use, and where to put the bow.  By the end of the pile she was actually pretty good at applying "sticky-tape" too.  Then she carried the wrapped gifts to the living room.
 Christmas morning the girls slept til nearly 9.  I almost hit my breaking point as far as waiting goes, and then I heard them start to stir.  As expected, after each item was unwrapped Rylee asked to "open it".  We let her open and play as requested with everything but the paint set - at least until after naps
 She was excited for the "finger-mail" polish.  She had a hard time washing her hands and feet after that :) We've had to put on a fresh coat every couple days too.

 Kelsey was pretty much happy that Rylee was distracted with unwrapping presents and realized she had full reign on all the toys we already own.  That is until she discovered the bag of freeze dried yogurt bites that were in her stocking.  She carried them over to Dad and I begging for more and didn't let go of the package until they were gone (since it was Christmas, we let her ;) ).

making "soup"
 {yes, she changed pajamas.  We had to bribe her into wearing the Christmas jammies I made her and when she got another pair on Christmas (the girl needed winter pj's) it was too much for her so we had a wardrobe change}
 "sleeping" in her new tent/house
Among other things Santa left Rylee a new tricycle and Kelsey got a little HEB shopping cart.


I had a really hard time coming up with something to give Kelsey.  Having a sister just a couple years ahead of her means there really isn't anything she "needed" but I couldn't do nothing. . . . . After a little bit of searching I came across a pattern for a doll.  Perfect. {apparently I didn't take a picture, but the I embroidered {heart} MOM on the bum.  It turned out pretty cute}

Michael asked if I was then going to make one for Rylee. I said no. Rylee already has a babydoll and its ok for Kelsey to have something special just for her.  I was really excited to give it to her. She "opened" the present took one look and moved on.  sad.  She seriously wanted nothing to do with it. We tried to get her to hold/touch it and she was NOT having it. double sad.  Later in the day I thought "oh I'll take a picture of her with the shopping cart with her new doll in the baby seat." The second she saw what I was up to she grabbed the doll and threw her on the floor. tripple sad.

"You're really going to make me sit by this doll and take a picture?"
"ok,You're making a big enough fool of yourself trying to get me to smile, I might forget about the doll all together"
 "peek-a-boo"
 Merry 1st Christmas Kelsey!!
{The doll now sleeps on Rylee's bed. ::sigh:: maybe I'll do better next year}

And a Merry Crafty Christmas to me!!!
Santa left Michael a little something to cut down the time he spends trimming bushes.

Rylee was especially proud of the tie she chose to give her Dad (and kept it a fairly good secret -though I'm not entirely certain if that was by choice.  She did tell him we went to the "clothes store"),  And even more proud the first day he wore it to work.

And what would Christmas be without a puzzle?  Even {especially??} if there isn't a riddle to solve on the back. :) This is actually one of three puzzles we did over the break.
It took us most of the day to get all the presents opened.  We took a break for breakfast and then we played and opened some more, napped, had a Candyland marathon and then that evening we had a multi-skype chat with my family.

I guess all the excitement of the day got to the kids as they were both a little on the crabby side and went to bed early.  Fine by me. . . . more time to play our own toys.

That night as Michael and I snuggled on the couch I kept saying "You really have to go to work tomorrow?" That would have been the first Christmas in our marriage he'd have to work the day after Christmas - last year he got it off since Cmas was on Sunday and every other year we've been out of town and he's taken the day off.  He decided he'd better stick around.

My sister I talked and we decided the day after Christmas is just as good (if not better) than Christmas day. No where to be = another day in pjs, all the new fun things to play with a figure out, family time all with the option of sleeping in (for some).  We loved it. We sincerely hope your Christmas was at least half as lovely as ours. :)

1 comment:

Sara Hendricks said...

That's so sad about the doll! I think it's adorable.