Kelsey's Birthday started off in the wee hours of the morning, as we had to be at the hospital between 5 and 5:30. . . AM {I commented often why am I waking up so early when we have this scheduled, and for months? . . . . the nurse mentioned that's 6 less hours I have to go without eating/drinking as well as the option to go home a day early . . . I guess}
My last pregnant picture:
Michael, ready to join us a few minutes later (they don't let spouses in the OR until we're ready to go-something about a sterile enviornment and they don't want him passing out at the sight of the needle) :
The anesthesiologist commented how relaxed I was prior to (and during) receiving the epidural/spinal block. Shortly after my blood pressure dropped (totally normal) and I felt really nauseous. They gave me oxygen and some drugs and I felt much better. . . . though not quite well enough to ask for the mirror I originally intended to have set in place to watch the surgery. Michael was then able to join us - one hand in mine the other on the camera and he shot away. . . . . This is NOT Kelsey's first picture :) (While I'm totally willing to share *those* pictures, I just don't care to post them the blog)
A few tugs and pulls later I hear "Oh, BLONDE hair!" {my heart may or may not have skipped a beat} and then Michael announced "It's a GIRL" and the Dr sang "Happy Birthday" to our (at the time) no-name child. It was 8:05 AM. She cried and cried, it was a wonderful sound.
They then brought her around the curtain to show me and then Michael left my side to watch them clean her up a bit.
They wheeled her over into my line of sight and weighed her: 8lbs 10 oz, swaddled her up and Michael brought her to me.
And we meet. I was so happy to see her sweet face and smell her baby skin. I smothered those vitamin K'd eyes with kisses.
The Dr finished up, drew 'her' cord blood from the umbilical cord for donation, stitched me up and we were on our way to the recovery room where we could properly inspect our precious angel and figure out what we'll name her before we start making phone calls.
Kelsey Eliza it is. Perfection.
The nursery came and got her for her bath and tests. They were just about finished as I headed up to my room. They made a fun little bow out of her hat and showed her to us through the window. Another nurse complimented myself and the anesthesiologist for how well I was recovering and getting movement/strength again.
Kelsey looks a lot like Rylee did - Rylee's hair was darker and cheeks chunkier. Kelsey has (what I think) SUPER long toes and she has a little webbed finger (which we'll have surgically separated sometime this year). She was pretty swollen for the first couple days (the Pediatrician could barely get her eyes open to check them out) and her newborn rash has mostly all cleared up.
My heart is full. Love is abundant.
Stay tuned for Part 2 . . . .







7 comments:
I totally cried reading her birth story!! She is so stinking adorable. You've inspired me to not find out the gender with my next baby. I hope we can come meet her soon!! CONGRATS!!
Congrats again! I'm so happy for you guys, she's adorable!
Allie's been sitting on my lap looking at these pictures for 10 minutes :). Congratulations!
Aubree is not allowed to see any photo's because it gives her ideas that we need another one :) Let me know if you need food for the new one.
JR
You really know how to cause some tears don't you!! Beautiful.....shower her with extra kisses from all of us.
She is gorgeous! Congratulations you guys! I love the name.
Post a Comment